Thursday, July 24, 2014

My Weight Loss Story


I just got through jogging.  This may not seem like a big deal to those who get up every day and run for miles, but for me it is a big deal.  All of my life, I have fought this monster called weight.  It seems to follow me wherever I go and whatever I do.  Whatever steps or accomplishments I make into being healthy…it comes around the corner and smashes into me, saying “You can’t do it.  You’ll never be slim or healthy.  Look at how many times you have failed in the past.”

The monster is right in one regard.  I have failed in the past…a lot.  But what the monster doesn’t realize is that through every one of my failures I have learned something.  Another thing the monster does not realize is that I don’t give up. 

I remember when I was too self-conscious to even go for a walk.  I was afraid people would see me and laugh at the “fat lady walking”.  Walking into a gym was unthinkable.  What would all of those trim, hard-muscled people think of me?  I would feel like the ugly duckling in the midst of a bunch of beautiful swans.

Somewhere along the way, I decided I was going to walk regardless of my fears.  When I did, I realized something.  Most people did not laugh or even look at me walking.  Some people even gave me words of encouragement along the way.  Another day I found myself walking into the gym at the local YMCA.  A trainer showed me how to work on the machines, and what machines would be good for me to start out on.  Again, I noticed that nobody really paid any attention to me there.  I also noticed something else.  Everyone there was not trim and hard-bodied.  That was just a false stereotype that had plagued my mind.  Many people were just like me…working on trying to get healthy.

I soon learned that when I work out, I automatically want to eat healthier.  Do I always eat healthy?  No.  I still love my chips and comfort foods.  But I am more mindful now of what I put into my mouth, and I try and eat healthy most of the time.  I no longer drink soda, but drink lots of water.  Do I always exercise?  No.  I have times where it is hard for me to make myself walk out of the door, and I am often the Queen of excuses.  It’s too  hot, too cold, too humid, too late, too early..

Am I slim?  Nope.  But I feel better about myself.  I feel better physically and emotionally.  For the past few days, I’ve been walking/jogging, and climbing 10 sets of stairs.  I like knowing that I am taking care of myself.

I have friends and family who have trouble walking due to health reasons.  So many times I have heard them say, “I wish I could walk”.  That really got to me, because I CAN walk.  What a waste to not use the muscles that God gave me.  If I lose weight….great.  If I don’t….that’s okay too.  At least I know I will be healthier for the exercise, and that is all that really matters in the long run.

To date, I have lost a total of 70 pounds.  This has been over the course of 5 years, so it has not been a rapid weight loss by any means.  But I’ve kept most of it off.  If I gain any back, I pay attention and make sure I get it right back off.  I still have more to lose, and I’m sure it will be a slow process too.  But I’m learning as I lose and becoming healthier along the way.

If you are overweight, struggling with diet and exercise…let me tell you to never give up.  Every small success is a big success.  Every failure along the way is a mere stepping stone.  Don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t do it.  Don’t let your own thoughts of failure keep you down.  Tell yourself that you are special and worthy to be happy and healthy.  Nobody can take good care of you better than yourself.  Treat yourself like the child of God that you are.  

Before and after shots of me...)
The top picture is me and my son, Tim...taken in 2009.  The second one is my daughter Christy and me, taken in 2012.  
                                              





No comments:

Post a Comment