Monday, July 14, 2014

Part 3: Confessions of a Born-Again Christian

Realizing that my relationship with God could be fulfilling regardless of the church I attended was actually a very freeing realization. At last I felt that I could be the real me without having to conform to what this particular group thought or that particular group thought. God became personal to me in a way that He never had before. Yes, He had been a part of my life for many years, but I have never really known how to develop that relationship with Him. So it had grown rather stagnant, and I had become someone I did not even recognize anymore.
I began to rethink a lot of things in my life. And I began to get to know myself better. For a year or so I stopped going to church completely because the church I was going to seemed spiritually dead to me. All through the service, people were looking at their watches, or sleeping. It all seemed so fake and at the time I had rather be going for a walk or something, enjoying God's nature. And I knew that if I was actually dreading going to church, something was wrong somewhere....either with me or with my choice of a church. So I stepped away to do some hard thinking and praying. For awhile things were going well, and then ZAP....I got hit with one thing after another that tested my faith in God.
The first thing that happened was that I had a stillbirth. I was 7 months pregnant when I started bleeding. When I went to the Dr., no heartbeat was found. So for 2 days I lay in the hospital with my baby inside who was no longer alive....while they induced labor. I had to go through regular labor. Her name was Maryanna Hope, and she was so tiny. I could hold her in the palm of my hand. I was so heartbroken, but that pain turned to emotional numbness. After she was born, we had to plan a funeral. And 2 days after she was born, we laid her to rest. This was the most emotionally wrenching thing I had ever gone through. The pain and depression afterwards was almost unbearable. I was so angry inside. And the only one I could think of to really be angry at was God. I kept asking him all of the standard questions. "Why me?" was the one I asked most often.
Several months down the road I found out my father had cancer, and I had so many feelings tied up in knowing this. I had some loose ends I needed to tie up with him...things I needed to say in order to feel some closure and peace. So I did that. His health continued to deteriorate and I was waiting for the call to come at any time saying he had passed away. And the call did come one Monday evening. Only it was to tell me that my mother had passed away unexpectedly. She had had a heart attack.
My mother and I were very close, but there were so many things I wanted and needed to say to her as well, but never got the chance. 3 months later, my father passed away. And I became even more bitter towards God. I just could not understand why I was being hit with so many bad things at once. In my mind, it wasn't fair. I considered myself a good person. And I almost felt God was punishing for something.
A month after my mother died, I discovered that my 12 year old daughter had been raped by a stranger at gunpoint. He forced her into a car, threatened to kill her family, drove off with her, raped her, and made her walk back home. She walked for 4 miles and did not call us because she was in shock and she was afraid we would be mad at her. My poor baby girl was feeling a shame that I was so familiar with. And I can honestly say that at that time I felt hate in my heart for the man who did this to her.
After months of hating and months of anger toward God, I grew so weary of it all. I had started to have flashbacks of my own abuse, and I turned back to the One who had always been there for me during it. God. And once again He was there for me, only this time he set my feet on a different pathway. And He brought people to me and opened doors for me to get the help that I needed. Once I surrendered totally, and admitted my total helplessness, the floodgates of Heaven seemed to open and things began to happen in my life that I found even hard to believe. I found a wonderful friend who pushed me into going to therapy. This therapist recommended a support group in which I have made wonderful life-changing friendships. My self-confidence increased and I began writing more.
Yes, He opened up the floodgates. But I still had to trust enough to walk through those gates. And this is still my biggest struggle. When you have been hurt by men, and you see God as a "man"...of course there is some comparison there. So it is a challenge. But each time I step into my fear and trust, I find that it has become a bit easier each time.
Today I am back in church, but it's a non-denomination church. It is based on love and outreach.  All are welcome...no matter who you are, what you look like, how you dress, or what your issue is. And if I do say so myself, the music there is totally awesome! I look forward to going each week and I leave feeling like I got my tank filled up...ready for the coming week.

Through all of these years since my first "Christian" experience, I have come a very long way in my attitudes as well as my beliefs. In some areas, I have done a complete turn-around.
There are some things that truly upset me about the world today and in both the way that Christians act and the way they are often perceived. But that I will save for my last installment. In my mind, it is the most important one.
                 Photo by Cheryl A. Williams, 2014


No comments:

Post a Comment