Wednesday, December 3, 2014

A Personal Message about Bipolar Disorder

I want to speak to you for a moment about bipolar disorder.  Chances are you either have it or know someone else who does. 

Bipolar disorder is an ugly disease that destroys.  It is a liar and a manipulator that will take a person and snatch him away from everyone that he holds dear, making him think his madness is normal…that those around him are the ones truly in need of help….telling him that he has no need to take medication to control his mood swings.  Bipolar disorder makes a person feel invincible, powerful, and at times God-like.  At other times it makes the same person feel like there is no hope, and he falls into a chasm so deep it is impossible to climb out alone.

Today is my dear departed husband’s birthday.  He suffered from bipolar disorder, and a little over two years ago, it snatched him away from me…cruelly and unexpectedly. I say unexpectedly, but I think there was a part of me that was always half-way expecting the disease
to take him away from me. Still, I lived in sweet denial.

If you love someone who suffers from bipolar disorder or if you yourself suffer from bipolar disorder, please don’t live in denial.  It is a killer.  A very high percentage of those who suffer with it attempt suicide.  Please take your medication or try and see to it that others take their bipolar medication.  They may refuse to take it, but at least try to convince them.  You never know when one more word could save a life.

I wish I had said one more word to Bob.  I wish I had talked to him more, reasoned with him more, loved him more, and tried harder to get him to accept the help that was out there for him.  Don’t wait to try and help a loved one regarding this.  Tomorrow may be too late.

If you are the person suffering from bipolar disorder, please take your medication.  You are being deceived into believing that you are okay.  Those feelings that you feel are not based in reality.  You are loved and needed in ways you can never comprehend.

Bob was a loving, kind-hearted, Christian man.  He never met a stranger and would give you the shirt off of his own back if you were in need.  The world lost a bit of goodness when he left…but Heaven has one more shining star

                                                     Bob taken by Cheryl Williams (2008)

No comments:

Post a Comment