Friday, November 28, 2014

A Moment of Serendipity

Have you ever had a moment in your life that is so unusual, surprising, or coincidental that it makes you wonder if life or God is trying to send you some kind of message?  I had one of those moments this morning.  I suppose you could call it a moment of serendipity, because I believe it happened to force me to improve something in regard to my writing and my life.

Being a writer, I have journals and books filled with poems, essays, stories all over my house.  I'm not very good at keeping them in any particular order, and this morning is proof of that.  I have recently completed two poetry journals, and was in search of a notebook with blank pages.  I try and write at least one poem every day, and need something to write them in.

I happened to find an old journal that was unused except for one poem.  I didn't bother to read it, but know it was written quite a few months ago because it was buried in the bottom of this canvas bag I keep some of my journals in.  I immediately turned to the first blank page and began to write my new poem.

After I was finished writing the poem, I decided to read the first poem in the journal to see what it was and if I could remember writing it. When I got to the last three lines of the poem

"to fulfill a yearning
deeper than any
I have ever known"

I could hardly believe what I was reading.  The last three lines of that poem were exactly the same as the last three lines of the poem I had just written.

Coincidence?  Or perhaps it is a message that I need to broaden my views as well as my vocabulary.  The poems were about two entirely different subject matters.  The one I wrote this morning was about missing my dear husband.  The one I wrote a long time ago was about risking everything to follow my dreams.

Perhaps it is just a message to demonstrate how what we yearn for may change as we ourselves change and grow.  Our yearnings are appropriate at the time, and just because they may change does not diminish their importance at the time we felt them.

Perhaps I just over think things...
                                                    Photo by Cheryl Williams (2014)



2 comments: