Wednesday, November 19, 2014

A Sad Goodbye to the Characters I Created

As I come to the end of publication of my YA novel, "Alone in the Crowd", I feel a sense of satisfaction.  I also feel a sense of sadness.  I never expected when I wrote the novel that I would feel such a close connection with the main characters in the book.  I never expected that I would come to love them, nor did I expect to feel sad when the writing was done.  It was like saying goodbye to good friends.

The book is for teenage girls, but could easily be read by any woman who has ever felt rejected or been bullied for not living up to someone else's expectations.  There are lessons in the book for daughters, sisters, mothers, fathers, and friends.  There are lessons for bullying victims as well as the bullies.  Sometimes one might ponder who the actual bullies are.  At what point does the victim, in the midst of self-defense, turn into a bully too?

"Alone in the Crowd" would also make a great read for a book club or for a classroom.  It offers many topics that would be great discussion topics.

In reading the story of Skylar Nobles, chances are you will get a glimpse of either yourself or someone that you know.  I know that I did.  

"Alone in the Crowd" is available at Amazon.com in either print form or on the Kindle.





No comments:

Post a Comment