Saturday, November 22, 2014

The Power of Words

Words are powerful.  They can signify either a beginning or an end.  They can evoke anger, tears, or joy.  Words can make us question, investigate, and come to conclusions.  The power of words cannot be ignored.

There is an old saying, “Sticks and stones can break my bones but words can never hurt me.”  This is so untrue.  Words can and do hurt.  Ask any overweight child who has to go to school each day and hear other students call him “fatty”.  Ask any handicapped child who is ruthlessly called a “retard”.  Ask any person who has been the brunt of racial slurs.  Ask any person who has been called “worthless” by an intimate partner.

I remember as a child being called  a “dummy” by my father whenever he tried to help me with my Math homework.  I was an excellent English student, but Math was just never easy for me.  Still, I gave up even trying.  His words sank deep inside of me.  I was too afraid of trying, failing, and looking dumb.  All of my life I have stayed away from any kind of job which might require Math skills.  All because of one word that was etched into my soul.

Words can also have a powerful positive impact on people.  They can inspire, motivate, and make a person feel loved and appreciated.  In high school, one of English teachers was always telling me what a good writer I was.  He encouraged me to submit my stories and keep writing.  He was always helpful and encouraging.  Because of this I continued on my writing path.  To date, I have published numerous short stories, poems, and articles in various magazines, e-zines, and anthologies.  I have three books available on Amazon.com.   If not for my teacher’s positive words of encouragement, I would not be at the place where I now am.

Think before you speak.  Your words are like little blessings or curses that flow out of your mouth, impacting those around you.  May your words always be words that positively impact those around you.


Be sure and check out my YA novel, “Alone in the Crowd”.  Skylar Nobles is a teenage girl who has been hurt by words.  Her story will touch you.


Photo by Cheryl A. Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment