Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Living a Shame-based Life

When I was in elementary school, I was chubby. My mom took me shopping for clothes in the chubby girl's department.  I wasn't able to wear the cute fashions the other girls wore. I always felt different. I was always the last one picked when choosing sides for basketball. School did not help. A.couple of times a year the nurse would come and weigh us individually for our health records. She would call us to the front of the class one at a time. She would weigh us and them yell the number out for her assistant to mark down. I can still feel the deep shame and embarrassment when my number was called. It was always the biggest number in the class. The other kids would laugh.

Shame is a horrible thing. It lingers and touches a deep part of one's soul. It affects who we are.  As a result of that shame I grew up feeling like I was not good enough. I never went for my dream of being a singer. I alwAys felt I would be laughed at because of my weight.

Today I'm much older and much wiser. I no longer let that shame rule my life. I know I am valuable because God made me...just like he made you.

If you are living a shame-based life....let it go. God has so much planned for you. A bountiful life awaits....
Photo by Cheryl A Williams, 2013


No comments:

Post a Comment