Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Why I Chose to Self-Publish

There are no perfect words. The more I read and write, the more I realize this. A sentence can be perfectly constructed, but if it doesn't touch the reader it is pointless. Words that touch one person may fail to touch another. This is evident in the publishing process. One editor can read a submission and immediately toss it into the slush pile. Another editor can read the same submission and see a best seller.

As I have tried to come to a decision about how to go about publishing my book, I have wrestled with which avenue to take. The good news is that I have choices today that were not ways available. Today I can self-publish.

There used to be a stigma with self-publishing....the connotation being that the manuscript was not worthy of being picked up by a mainstream publisher. That has changed. Self-publishing is becoming a very popular means of publishing. Many mainstream book publishers are suffering as a result.

As writers, we want our work to be read. I am not concerned with making millions of dollars. I just believe my writing may help someone.  My upcoming YA novel " Alone in the Crowd" deals with bullying and self-esteem. I believe it is an important read for teenage girls.  This is why I chose the route of self-publishing. My first two books are published on the Kindle.

Flash: a Short Story Collection .http://www.amazon.com/Flash-A-Short-Story-Collection-ebook/dp/B0077T2FFK
Heavely Hugs: inspirational Poetry 00EOF7QKYhttp://www.amazon.com/I'mHeavenly-Hugs-Inspirational-Cheryl-Williams-ebook/dp/B00EOF7QKY

No comments:

Post a Comment