Wednesday, April 9, 2014

A Journey of Self-Discovery

                                                                Cheryl Williams, 2013

About five years ago, I started writing a novel. It has been a journey of self-discovery.   It was my first novel, and I had a lot to learn along the way in regard to developing characters and plot.  I also had a lot to learn in regard to the amount of detail needed in writing.  I was more accustomed to writing short stories and poetry, so I found it to be a challenge.

As my story slowly developed, however, it seemed to take on a life of its own.  I got to know and love the characters in the book.  Skylar was the shy, insecure 15 year old who never seemed to measure up.  She was also a person with a hidden talent.  Lauren was Skylar's comical, free-spirited, clumsy best friend.  She was also the person who would come to Skylar's defense time and time again.  Savannah was Skylar's fraternal twin sister who seemed to have it all together.  She was popular, a cheerleader,  and very pretty. She also had a secret.

Over the couple of years it took me to write the book, I came to love the characters in the book.  I also came to identify with Skylar.  I found myself in the book time and time again, even though it was unintentional.  I also came to see other people from my life in the book, and that was unintentional as well. When I finished writing the book, I actually felt sad at having to say goodbye to the characters in the book.

The book deals with bullying, peer pressure, and the battle for self-esteem as a teenager.  I really wish that every teenage girl could read this book.  I believe it has a message that will speak to them and perhaps open their eyes to how beautiful they really are deep inside.  I wish there had been such a book to read when I was a teenager.  Perhaps things would have been different for me.

I am working on the final edits of the book, and it will be published in the near future.   The name of it is "Alone in the Crowd".

In the meantime, I have two other books available on Amazon for the Kindle.  The first book is called "Flash:  a Short Story Collection".  The second book is called "Heavenly Hugs:  Inspirational Poetry".

No comments:

Post a Comment